A Brief History of St. Augustine
Ponce de Leon's claim to Florida in 1513 was confirmed by Spain when Pedro Menendez arrived in 1565 to create a permanent settlement. Seven Hundred soldiers and colonists, founded the city on a peninsula bordered by Matanzas Bay and River on the east and south and on the west by the San Sebastian River, a strong defensive location.
The city has been continually occupied since 1565, making it the oldest European settlement in North America.
After Spain's defeat in the Seven Years War, Florida became a British territory in 1763. However, Florida was returned to Spain in 1783 as part of a treaty ending the American Revolution. Spain was unable to sustain the colony and in 1821 it became an American territory. Florida became the twenty-seventh state in the United States on March 3, 1845.
For more information please visit:
The rich History of St Augustine is captured on Canvas by St Augustine Photographer Ray Dominey as High resolution professional quality Giclee prints on Canvas. Order Photo Art on Canvas from our Gallery of Historic St Augustine Photographs of such subjects as the Lighthouse, Castillo de San Marco, The Fort, Flagler College (once the Ponce de Leon Hotel), Lightener Museum, Oldest House, Oldest School House, Saint George Street, Treasury Street, Bridge of Lions, Bay front Carriages, City Gates, Ghost of St Augustine, Schooner Freedom, Colonial Spanish Quarter, Columbia Restaurant, Memorial Presbyterian Church, Casablanca Inn, Tini Martini Bar, Hilton Bay front, Harrys, Santa Monica Hotel, Old City Inn, Charlotte Inn, Dow Museum of Houses, Aviles Street, Marine Street, St. Francis Inn, Bridge Street, San Sebastian Winery, St Augustine Beach, Alligator Farm, Casa Del Hidalgo, Sangrias, Gates, Doors, and Windows of St Augustine, Sunrise on the Beach, Shells on the Beach, Waterfront scenes and much more.
Photo Art on Canvas makes the perfect gift.
The Gate at 15 Bridge Street is part of the city of St. Augustine’s charm. It's the most photographed and painted Gate in the city. Everybody loves the Gate. Amelia Duddington, who owned the property, said her mother made the door from salvaged materials obtained after the old Lyceum on South St. George Street was demolished in the 1970s. The arch came from the top of one of its 15-20 foot windows. There were three circles originally. She cut them off. Then made the Gate from planks from a lumber yard. It turned out to be very Charleston or Savannah looking." An iron trivet became a viewing port in the Gate. Visitors walking around downtown often stop and photograph one another in front of the Gate. The plank Gate leads to the brick courtyard of a Victorian house with a two-story, wrap-around porch. The structure was first built in 1889 for the Countess of Montjoye, according to city records. Hidden treasure was found on the property twice. In 1824, a brick mason found gold coins while making repairs to a chimney. In 1889, a workman unearthed 50 gold doubloons dated 1855 and bearing the likeness of King Charles III of Spain. These coins possibly belonged to a Father Miguel Crosby who lived on the property at one time and who might have saved the money over many years. The house is designated a Historic Property and the new owner Thomas Heinrich has restored the gate and replaced the missing arch. Photographer Ray Dominey, St Augustine Photographic Art.